Prof. Manju Bansal Lab, MBU, IISc, Bangalore, India.
BIO-DATA OF Prof. MANJU BANSAL
1. Name : MANJU BANSAL
2. Designation : Professor
3. Date & Place of Birth : 1st. Dec. 1950, Dehradun, India
4. Nationality : Indian
5. Address : Molecular Biophysics Unit
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore 560 012, India.
6. Highest Academic Degree: Ph. D. (1977)
7. Field of work : Research & teaching of structural & computational biology
Specific research area: "Structure and conformational variability
of proteins and nucleic acids, Genome analysis:
Sequence Structure - Function Correlations".
8. No. of Publications : 191 (including 93 conference abstracts)
9. Positions held (starting with current position) :
Position Institution Period
Professor Indian Institute of Science Since June 1998
Director Institute of Bioinformatics 2001-2004
& Applied Biotechnology
Associate Indian Institute of Science 1993-1998
Professor Bangalore, India
Asst. Prof. I.I.Sc., Bangalore 1987-1993
Lecturer I.I.Sc., Bangalore 1982-1987
von Humboldt European Molecular Biology 1981-1982
Fellow Laboratory, Heidelberg, FRG.
Res. Assoc. I.I.Sc., Bangalore 1977-1980
10. Academic Qualifications:
Degree Year Institution Subject Class
Ph.D. 1977 Indian Inst. of Science, Molecular -
Bangalore, India Biophysics
M.Sc. 1972 Osmania University, Physics I
B.Sc. 1970 Osmania University, Physics(spl) I
(spl) Hyderabad, India. Chemistry, 2nd rank
Indian 1966 Board for Indian School Maths., Physics I
School Certificate Examination Chemistry,
11. Honours, Awards, Fellowships etc.:
1. J.C.Ghosh Medal (1975) of Indian Institute of Science.
2. Young Scientist Medal (1979) of Indian National Science Academy.
3. EMBL Visiting Fellowship, June-Aug. 1982.
4. Senior Fulbright Fellowship, Nov.1986- Apr.1987.
5. Visiting Professor, Rutgers University, USA, June-July 1989.
6. Visiting Consultant, N.I.H, Bethesda, USA, July - Aug 1991.
7. AvH Fellow, Frei Univ Berlin, Germany, Aug 91 - Jan 92.
8. Visiting Professor, Rutgers University, USA, June-July 1993.
9. Member, Editorial Board, Jl. Biomol. Structure & Dynamics, 1995.
10. Member, Editorial Board, Electronic Jl. Theoretical Chemistry, 1995.
11. Elected Member, Guha Research Conference, 1995.
12. Elected Vice-President, Indian Biophysical Society, 1996-1999.
13. Nominated Member, INSA Committee for IUCr, 1997-2000.
14. Elected Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1997.
15. Elected Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, India, 1998.
16. Founder Director, Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology, 2001-2004.
17. Non-executive Member, Board of Directors, Cranes Software, since Apr 2004.
18. Invited Member, Advisory Committee of the Protein Data Bank, USA, since June 2005.
19. Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, SUN-COE at CDFD, Hyderabad, 2005.
20. IUPAB Commission on Sponsored Meetings, since 2005.
21. Astra Chair Professor, ASTRA Zeneca/IISc, 2009-2012.
22. J.C. Bose Fellow, DST India, 2010-2015 .
23.Member, Coordination Committee for Bioinformatics National Certification , since 2005.
24.Member, Board of Studies in Biotechnology, Vishveshwaraya Technical Univ., 2007-2010.
25.Elected Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, 2008.
26.Member, Advisory Committee of the www.PDB, USA, since 2008.
27.Member, Advisory Board, Jl. Biomol. Structure & Dynamics, since 2009.
28.Awarded Astra-Zeneca Research Chair, IISc, 2009-2012.
29.Awarded J.C. Bose National Fellowship, 2010-2015.
30.Member, Scientific Advisory Board, C-CMACS, Bangalore since 2010.
31.Awarded Alumni Medal for Excellence in Research, IISc, 2012.
32.Member CSIR Society, 2013-2016.
Copyright © 2008
Prof. Manju Bansal